In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

St. Albans Historical Society

Pond School, St. Albans, 1922

Contributed by St. Albans Historical Society
MMN Item 75072 Item Details
Pond School, St. Albans, 1922
MMN Item 75072 Zoom

Description

The Pond School in St. Albans, located on the Pond Road near the intersection of what is now called the Finson Road in Hartland, was erected around 1875. It was one of 17 schools in the town.

The school, like many in its day, consisted of one room in which more than one grade was taught.

One teacher of record was Agnes Irene Libby. She began teaching in 1918, at which time the school was in serious decline. Due to her efforts and those of the agent for rural education, Harold Allan, the "School Improvement League" was formed.

Pupils, parents, and neighbors alike put forth their efforts to make the school more homelike. The school closed in 1939.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.